There’s a lot to think about when your toddler is ready to start potty training. One of the things you’ll need to decide is what equipment to buy. Today we take a quick look at the options available and the pros and cons of each.
Most children will probably use a potty for the first few weeks or months until they get the hang of giving you enough notice to get them to the bathroom on time.
- Smaller than a toilet, so less daunting for your child to use. They come in lots of fun, child-friendly designs.
- Easy to get on and off, this is important when timing is an issue and can save accidents.
- Fairly portable, so you can move it from room to room with you, and you can bring it with you in the car.
- Can easily be knocked over.
- Cleaning it isn’t much fun, and not as simple as flushing the toilet. Cleaning can be even trickier when you are out and about!
- Some are bulky for stability, fine for home, but not so easy at the side of the road.
Potty chairsPotty chairs are bigger than regular potties with a sturdy base and often a removable bowl for easy cleaning.
- More stable than regular potties, so your child could feel more secure sitting on it.
- Your child will be seated at a greater height which can be more comfortable for taller children.
- They come in toddler-friendly designs
- Bulky, and uses much more space than a regular potty.
- Not portable, so you’ll need a potty for when you’re away from home.
Toilet step stool
A step stool in front of the toilet helps your toddler climb up and sit on the toilet. These come in all shapes and sizes and to suit every budget. You may find you use one to help your child reach the sink, long after they have finished potty training.
- Your toddler can reach the toilet on his own, saving time and helping him to feel more independent.
- Depending on his height, your toddler’s feet have something to rest on when he’s using the toilet. Which can make them feel more secure.
- It can double-up as a step to help your toddler to reach the sink for hand-washing and brushing teeth.
- Can get in the way and add clutter to small bathrooms.
- Bulky and not suitable for taking out and about
A training seat is a small seat that fits on top of your existing toilet seat.
- A lift-on, lift-off seat is portable, so you can take it with you.
- Cleaning is easy – just wash with warm soapy water
- Come in fun styles and colours
- Can only be used in the bathroom. Your toddler may find it difficult to reach the toilet in time, so accidents can happen.
- Some designs can be a bit wobbly, feeling unstable on the seat may make him feel less confident.
A travel potty is a portable potty training system. Some travel potties are more portable than others, so it depends how much you want to carry with you. training system.
Our lightweight travel potty unfolds easily using just one hand, and the liners are fully biodegradable.
- Portable for days out, and compact when you are not using it.
- It can be stowed away under a buggy easily.
- Handy to keep in the car boot for long journeys.
- Can be used at home or when you are out and about.
- Very hygienic as the liner protects the potty and can be thrown away.
- Some travel potties may be too large to carry in your usual bag (not at Pottiagogo!)
- Some children find some travel potties less stable.
The Pottiagogo system is different from other travel potties, it won’t collapse when your child is using it and it can be set up easily. Just take a look at the reviews on our website.
“As a family that is often out and about, finding a travel potty that actually works has been fantastic. My previous travel potty was always falling apart (often mid-use!) and was never very stable. Having tried this potty out on the beach, out for walks, on the school run and in fields, I am really amazed with how robust and stable it is. It's not only easy to get out and set up (a must in those emergency loo stops at the side of the road), but it's also sturdy, stable, quick to clean, simple to reset and easy to put away...and no legs fall off!
I also like the biodegradable liners. I was worried they may leak, but they're really strong, much better than my old brand and I feel happier using something that's better for the environment.
Great buy and super value for money.”
To purchase the Pottiagogo Travel Potty visit our website.